GlobalData’s report, “Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)– Drug Pipeline Analysis and Market Forecasts to 2016” is an essential source of information and analysis on the global nonalcoholic steatohepatitis market. The report identifies the key trends shaping and driving the global nonalcoholic steatohepatitis market. The report also provides insight on the prevalent competitive landscape and the emerging players expected to bring significant shift in the market positioning of the existing market leaders. Most importantly, the report provides valuable insight on the pipeline products within the global nonalcoholic steatohepatitis sector. GlobalData estimated that the Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) market was worth $1.8 billion in 2009. The major reason for the limited market revenues is that there is no approved drug for the treatment of NASH. NASH is an unrecognized cause of cryptogenic cirrhosis with emerging importance. It is a more aggressive form of NAFLD (Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease), which often progresses to liver cirrhosis. The increased prevalence of diabetes, obesity and hyperlipidemia are considered to be important causes of NASH. Antioxidants, anti-diabetic medications, anti-obesity medications and antihyperlipidemics are some of the off-label products currently used by NASH patients. The modest growth forecast is primarily attributed to a weak pipeline landscape. Due to the fact that low diagnosis rates, low prescription rates and low treatment seeking rates continue to pose significant challenges for prospective market entrants, the market landscape in future is expected to remain static without any significant dynamism.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in house analysis by GlobalData’s team of industry experts.
The scope of the report includes:
– Annualized global nonalcoholic steatohepatitis market revenue data from 2001 to 2009, forecast for seven years to 2016.
– Key geographies covered in this report include the US (the United States), the UK (the United Kingdom), Italy, Spain, Germany, France and Japan.
– Pipeline analysis data providing a split across the different phases of development by mechanism of action and emerging trends. The key classes of mechanism of action include dietary supplements, enzyme inhibitors, PPAR (peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor) gamma selective agonists, combination therapies, cholesterol Inhibitors, CB-1 cannabinoid receptor antagonists, angiotensin II receptor antagonists, lipid peroxidation inhibitors, glutathione enhancers and immunologic drugs.
– Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global nonalcoholic steatohepatitis market. Key market players covered are Raptor Pharmaceuticals, Gilead Sciences, Axcan Pharma, Eli Lilly & Company and Enzo Biochem.
– Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide a qualitative analysis of its implications.
– Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs and the implications for the future market associated with NASH.
Reasons to buy
– Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of the pipeline products and technologies and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipelines.
– Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global NASH market.
– Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments and companies likely to impact the global NASH market in the future.
– Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
– Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
– Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
– What’s the next big thing in the global NASH market landscape? – identify, understand and capitalize.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 Table of contents 3
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 5
2 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market : Market Characterization 6
2.1 Disease Overview 6
2.2 Symptoms 7
2.3 Diagnosis 7
2.3.1 Ultrasonography 7
2.3.2 Computed Tomography 8
2.3.3 Magnetic Resonance Imaging 8
2.3.4 Liver function tests 8
2.3.5 Liver Biopsy 8
2.4 Treatment 8
2.5 Epidemiology 9
2.6 Prevention 10
2.7 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Disease Market Size 11
2.8 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market Forecast and CAGR 12
2.9 Drivers and Barriers for the Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Disease Market 13
2.9.1 Drivers for the NASH Market 13
2.9.2 Barriers for the NASH Market 14
2.10 Opportunity and Unmet Need 15
2.11 Key Takeaway 16
3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market : Competitive Assessment 17
3.1 Overview 17
3.2 Strategic Competitor Assessment 17
3.3 Product Profile for the Major Off-Label Marketed Products in the Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market 18
3.3.1 Antioxidants 18
3.3.2 Anti-diabetic Medications 19
3.3.3 Anti-obesity Medications 19
3.3.4 Antifibrotic Medications 19
3.4 Key Takeaway 20
4 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market : Pipeline Assessment 21
4.1 Overview 21
4.2 Strategic Pipeline Assessment 21
4.2.1 Technology Trends Analytic Framework 21
4.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Therapeutics – Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 23
4.4 Molecule Profile for Promising Drugs under Clinical Development 25
4.4.1 DR Cysteamine (delayed release cysteamine bitartrate) 25
4.4.2 GS 9450 (LB84451) 26
4.4.3 High-Dose Ursodesoxycholic acid (HD-UDCA) 27
4.4.4 Byetta (exenatide) 27
4.4.5 EGS21 (beta glucosylceramide formulation) 28
4.5 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market – Clinical Pipeline by Mechanism of Action 30
4.6 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis – Pipeline by Clinical Phases of Development 30
4.6.1 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Therapeutics – Phase III Clinical Pipeline 31
4.6.2 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Therapeutics – Phase II Clinical Pipeline 31
4.6.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Therapeutics – Phase I Pipeline 32
4.6.4 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Therapeutics – Preclinical Pipeline 32
4.7 Discontinued Drug for Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Disease 32
4.8 Key Takeaway 33
5 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market : Implications for Future Market Competition 34
6 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Disease Market : Future Players in the Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market 36
6.1 Introduction 36
6.2 Raptor Pharmaceuticals 36
6.2.1 Company Overview 36
6.2.2 Gastroenterology Disease Portfolio 37
6.2.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Product Portfolio 37
6.3 Gilead Sciences 38
6.3.1 Company Overview 38
6.3.2 Gastroenterology Disease Portfolio 39
6.3.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Product Portfolio 39
6.3.4 Axcan Pharma 40
6.3.5 Company Overview 40
6.3.6 Gastroenterology Portfolio 41
6.3.7 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Product Portfolio 42
6.4 Eli Lilly and Company 43
6.4.1 Company Overview 43
6.4.2 Gastroenterology Portfolio 43
6.4.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Product Portfolio 43
6.5 Enzo Biochem 44
6.5.1 Company Overview 44
6.5.2 Gastroenterology Portfolio 46
6.5.3 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Product Portfolio 46
7 Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Market : Appendix 48
7.1 Market Definitions 48
7.2 Abbreviations 48
7.3 Research Methodology 49
7.3.1 Coverage 50
7.3.2 Secondary Research 50
7.3.3 Forecasting 50
7.3.4 Primary Research 53
7.3.5 Expert Panels 53
7.4 Contact Us 53
7.5 Disclaimer 53
7.6 Sources 54