Cars for single moms can be the key factor in which a single mom can find and keep a job. Of course if you live in a large city, public transportation would be your best option. Even so, commuting via bus or subway with a baby stroller is not the easiest thing to do (believe me carrying a baby stroller in a busy subway station in NYC every day is not the easiest thing to do). Even though it’s not easy, it’s still very possible to do (think about it as an intense workout).
But what if you live in a city where there’s poor public transportation and a car is essentially your only mode of transportation to and from work? If you’re a single mom, the expenses of having a car, plus every other family related expense can just be too much for a mother with one income supporting their family.
First, let’s break down the expenses: there’s the car itself, insurance, gas and if you’re car is used, you have to remember maintenance. It’s overwhelming, I know.
But here are a few tips to help get a single mom a car she can afford.
• Don not go to a car dealership. Plain and simple
• Check car listings in the newspaper and on Craigslist for good deals. Also, it’s not a bad idea to post an advertisement on Craigslist telling people of your situation. Many times people will donate vehicles to receive a tax credit the following year.
• Check non-profit agencies and also use the internet to Google car grants and car loans for single moms.
One organization I found that seems to be the best for single moms is 1-800-Charity Cars. Established in 1996, Charity Cars, Inc. is a nonprofit organization, and the first charity of its kind in the United States. Their mission is to provide a free vehicle to assist single moms and other low income families to become self sufficient. Some websites suggest Habitat For Humanity, but they will not directly give a car to a single mom, they usually act as the middle man and give the car to an organization such as this one.
The reason I like this car donation charity for single moms, is because all it takes is three easy steps to apply.
• First single moms have to visit their website at www.800charitycars.org and create a profile. You can write about anything you want, but the more personable, the better. This is your chance to tell the your story and explain why you are the most deserving candidate to receive a car. Don’t hold back, the funnier or sadder your story is the better chance you’ll receive votes.
• Next single moms will have to generate votes. Generating votes is essential if you want to receive a free car. By generating votes single moms can increase their karma level therefore your profile will be ranked higher on the page. The more traffic you create for this website, your chances of receiving a free car will be a lot better.
•Last, after you have received a high number of votes, apply for a free charity car. Even if you don’t win this time, keep at it. It’ll be nothing but beneficial for single moms to continue to vote and communicate with others in the same situation as you.