Getting the Best Motorhome Insurance


What do I need to think about when looking for motorhome insurance?

Consider exactly what your circumstances are likely to be over the coming year. Details like how much you will be using your vehicle and how many miles you will do will need to be thought about. Companies will often give you an additional discount based on limited mileage agreements.

Decide where you are likely to go.  You can get a Green Card included in your policy – some for the year, some for 90 days in any one trip

Think about where you are going to keep your motorhome – discounts are given for keeping it under your own watchful eye at home or at a CASSOA site.

Decide whether you need to make sure your policy covers personal effects and accessories that will be in the motorhome – and extras like awnings. Some large awnings, for example, can be expensive to replace. Specialists pick up on these little things when you’re discussing your requirements, where £5000 personal effects cover and £2000 for awnings are included for no extra cost at all.

Be clear about your No Claims Discounts (NCD). Many insurers will mirror the NCD you’ve accrued while driving your car.

Understand the difference between the types of cover available – fully comprehensive (the broadest cover), third-party fire and theft (a mid-range), and third party (the most basic).

A simple immobiliser or a tracking device can save money in insurance every year and increase resale when you come to sell on your motorhome or RV.

What else should I be aware of?

Be honest when providing details to your insurance provider. Being economical with the truth is never economical in the long run as you may end up with no cover at the time when you need it most if you don’t disclose everything when asked.

Ask if there are discounts available depending on the length of time you’ve owned your motorhome, or if you’re a member of a club or association. Many specialist motorhome insurers reward experience with better premiums.

Use insurance providers that are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. And do consider using specialist motorhome insurers. In some instances, particularly with household names, motorhome cover is just an add-on to a larger insurance business. Specialist companies typically spend time training staff in their own training academy in the intricacies of motorhome ownership and identifying policies to make them as attractive as possible to motorhome owners.

Don’t assume your Ford Ka; Smart car or little Fiat will be covered simply because it’s attached to your Winnebago or Bessacar. Some policies automatically give you third-party cover but in other cases you might need to take out full-comprehensive insurance too. Always check.

Finally, think carefully before making a claim for minor accidents. Small accidents (known as ‘losses’ to an insurer) to another person’s vehicle like a broken wing mirror are often best dealt with without involving your insurer. By paying for the repair yourself, you can protect your No Claims Discounts and ensure you continue to pay low premiums.  There should be no secrets.


Source by Steven Greenwood